Wednesday 19 February 2014

Coffee Roasting and Witness Protection

So  it does rain here. Technically a desert, this part of the island got plenty of rain in the last couple of days - cold and grey, too. Anyway, it's still beautiful.

My friend, Sharif, went to visit friends at the north end and came back with the news (rumor) that Ocean View has a lot of Witness Protection Program clients. I wonder, if it's so well known, whether it's really that safe for them! OceanView also has a reputation of being armed to the teeth!


Who knew?

We roasted some green Ka'u peaberries today - really good.


It has been at least 20 years since I roasted my own coffee During that time, I acquired a perfect roasting-pan - a heavy aluminum, camp-style, folding omlette pan, with the wooden-insulated handles extending "from the diameter, not the radius" as the late Don Lohr (our coffee guru) used to say.



These are somewhat hard to come by nowadays. This was the first time I had used the pan, which my friend Virginia Howell got for me at the Berkeley Ashby Bart Saturday flea-market many years ago. It works like a dream. McKinnie Place has an outdoor, gas BBQ which was also perfect.



Only a week t go here in Ocean View, and then I will spend a few days looking around Hawai'i before returning to Tucson. then I plan to go to Berkeley for a couple of weeks.

No comments: