Friday 26 February 2010

I decided to pamper myself


by checking into the Crowne Plaza at Gangi airport (Singapore), there to recuperate further from the strains of India. Singapore prides itself on being a :”first-world island” in a “third-world” sea, and the rich city-state is at pains to prove it by its sleek, new airport. One of its charms is a brand-new, five-star hotel, accessible directly from the terminal. My Pusher wheeled me right to the front desk. It was pricey, but worth it. By then, I had quite a cold, and I really could use the 27-hours rest. The nice manager extended my stay to 3:00pm, and then further to 5:00, so that the Pusher could pick me up and take me to the special-services lounge the next day.

Everything about the plaza was luxurious. The interior design was calm, understated, and lush. Huge clay pots gull of cut flowers, an indoor garden out the window, lit through a glass ceiling across which ran streams of water. The room was reached through an outdoor passage, where I could briefly sample the close, humid, stifling, tropical atmosphere. (I believe Singapore is as close as I have ever been to the equator.) The manager not only checked me in early; he gave me an accessible room (mainly of interest in the bathroom) on the fifth floor. It was large and perfectly designed. A banque of windows overlooked a runway (unused, as far as I could tell). Internet connection by cable (fast and reliable – and expensive), plenty of Fijiwater in the fridge (also expensive), and a bed that I want. Really firm, king-sized pillow-top, with four huge pillows . I spent most of my time there.

There were two restaurants: a Cantonese one and a Pacific Rim eclectic, which I chose. They had a double buffet (Asian and Western) celebrating the last day of New Years (Year of the Tiger). Hideously expensive ($70! I could give Rs10 to about 315 beggars in Jaipur for that. Is there a contradiction here?) But It was worth every cent:

· Oysters, clams, mussels, prawns with mignonette and sauces

· Chinese salad of roast apples, cucumber, deep-fried tofu, and doughnut fragments. You toss it yourself at the buffet in a big bowl (which they then replace ), with shrimp/soy dressing topped with crushed peanuts

· “drunken prawns” (poached in wine)

· Braised sea-cucumbers

· Salad of finely-shredded carrots, cucumbers, &c with honey dressing

· Various flavor-bursts on single Chinese soup-spoons

· Mixed grill of various sausages and lamb chops in wine sauce

· Cheeses

· Dessert bar: ice cream, mousses, walnut torte, one-bite sweets

All of this with the assistance of a smiling waiter. (Everyone smiles in Singapore. There is probably a severe corporal penalty for frowning.)

My smiling Pusher was on time to pick me up. I had a few hours to wait in the special services lounge, but I was able to work and even to stretch out and sleep for about an hour. He came back for me and pushed me through all the formalities to the front of the gate itself. The plane was one of those new double-decker Airbuses (380). I was in the lower deck, where the little “suites” (super-first-class private compartments are located in front.

But before the rest of the economy passengers, before business class, before first class, and even before the ten august occupants of the many-thousand-dollar “suites” came Yours Truly, wheeled by my smiling Pusher, the first on the aircraft. And when I boarded the Narita/LAX flight, I had priority over even the camouflage-fatigue-clad Japanese regiment at the security check. If you have to fly, wheelchair is definitely the way to go!

No comments: